Over the past few years I have gathered quite the collection of random thrifty finds. Styling this shelving unit was like putting a puzzle together with all of those pieces.
My goal was to display as much as I could without it all becoming too cluttered looking. I had initially planned to keep the look very neutral with mostly natural tones and whites. Originally, the shelves consisted of boxes, paper organizers, and other office-y type things.
I felt like I was taking the easy way out by just throwing boxes and organizers on the shelves and calling it a day. I wasn’t feeling excited to finish decorating the shelves so I decided I did needed to go out and find some pieces to get some momentum going.
I had a very small budget to work with and as much as I would have loved to buy some great pieces from some awesome stores, the reality is I just can’t afford to do that. I decided thrifting would be the best bang for my buck.
Last week Emerson and I went out early for a thrifting adventure and found a few little treasures that had me excited to get back to the house and start arranging everything (more about those treasures in my next post).
I had seen pictures on Pinterest of Emily Henderson’s studio and Joy Cho’s studio of their shelving units and loved how they displayed their props instead of keeping them packed up in closets. I rummaged through my closets and gathered up some potential contenders for the shelving unit.
I started by working my way from bottom to top. The green storage boxes, sewing machine, and stack of books gave the bookcase the “weight” that I was wanting. I’ve always liked to keep my shelves “heavy” on the bottom and lighter towards the top.
At first I had magazines and books displayed all on the 3rd and 4th shelves down. I wasn’t in love with the way it was looking and remembered a tip for styling; keep like items together. I decided to put the magazines in 2 bigger stacks and stack all the books together for more of an impact.
I placed smaller grouped items instead to the 3rd shelf down. I added some storage items and organizers on the 2nd shelf down along with those two huge rolls of thread I found while thrifting.
I wanted to the top shelf to have a light and clean look so I kept it simple with clear vases and bottles. I placed some green candles in a bell jar to make sure the eye would go all the way to the top right corner, and the greenery is my cherry on top.
I have one more styling project (my master bathroom) that I’m working on and then the styling portion of my creative challenge is pretty much done. I’ll be headed out to the Craftcation Conference at the end of the month so trying to wrap all my projects up before I leave!